Bug In or Bug Out?
Planning to Bug in has some really solid merits. You have a roof over your head. You have your food, your stuff, and your supplies. You probably know your neighbors and your neighborhood. You have the lay of the land, so to speak.
My first instinct in a SHTF situation will be to Bug In. I have everything I need here. I know where my supplies are, I have ways to heat my home, and I know where to find fresh water. My home holds more supplies than I can carry on my back.
When should you bug out?
- Radiation in your area (once it is safe to move)
- Biological attack in your area (once it is safe to move)
- chemical attack in your area (once it is safe to move)
- Looting or Rioting in your area
- You notice strange activity or your gut is telling you that it’s not safe!
If you live in a rough area that has trouble maintaining law and order during normal life, you should prepare to grab that bug out bag and hit the road, if the SHTF, as it will only become more lawless after an event.
I would like to mention that Bugging Out, does not mean you have to live in the wild and forage for food, you can head to a safe place, like a relative or close friends. Make sure that this fallback position is in an area free of the same issues, that you just fled from. Also make sure to coordinate this with them, before a SHTF situation, as your friend or relative may not have a plan for company in those dire times.
Got a second to help me out?
I work hard to bring you posts, that you don’t see on other sites. If you find my blog interesting, and not the same old stuff, take a moment and give a quick click to vote for me on Top Prepper Sites! You can vote daily by clicking here or on the image below.
* GeekPrepper.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.